Safety measures for boating with your dog
Dog is the man’s best friend, right? So why not taking it with you when you’re going on a boat trip. All you need to know are some safety measures so you can enjoy peacefully your trip, without any accidents or unpleasant events.
Here are some safety tips for you and your furry friend.
- Let your dog get used with the boat before leaving the dock. Let it sniff and walk all around the boat so it can understand that it’s a safe place without dangers.
- Before leaving, make sure that your pet have had its potty time. If you are going on a long trip you can train it to do the business in a certain spot on the boat.
- Your pet must get used with the boat movements too, so keep your first outing short.
- Have plenty of fresh drinking water on board.
- Animals can suffer heat-strokes too and they can have many other problems due to excessive sun exposure. So don’t forget to provide a shaded area for your friend.
- Protect the paws! It is known that dogs absorb heat through their feet and the boat floors can become very hot in the sun.
- If you plan to go fishing, keep your hooks, bait and lures in a safe spot, where your dog can’t reach them.
- Bring treats and toys.
Life jackets for dogs
In the first place you’ll think that this is a joke, but it isn’t. Not all dogs are good swimmers and if they are the weather conditions or the water can cause them problems. Some dogs may have health issues like joints or hip problems and swimming can be hard for them. Old dogs can become tired quickly or get disoriented.
There are no laws regarding life jackets for pets, but be sure that buying one of them will make a difference and keep your dog safe. The life jacket is serving as a floating device and as a retrieval device too. Anyway, before buying it, make sure that it is the right one for your pet.
Here is how you can choose it:
- Make sure it is the right size for your dog. You can check it in the store before purchasing.
- Check the lifting handles so you can retrieve your pet safe and easy.
- Take a look at straps and buckles to be sure that it won’t cause any discomfort to your dog.
- Choose a bright color so you can spot your pet easily in the water.
- Let your furry friend to get used to the life jacket before getting on the boat so put it on while you are home and even let the dog swim with it.
Have a safe trip!